A few hundred meters from Corso Vittorio Emanuele, on the left side, stands the Cathedral, separated from the street through a large courtyard. Behind the Cathedral stretches out the borough Capo, one of the most ancient areas of Palermo, made up of a maze of streets and lanes which resembles a real Kasbah . Unfortunately it has been left in a state of decay. East of this borough stands via Porta Carini, where a lively popular market takes place.
From the Teatro Massimo following via Ruggero Settimo you reach in a few minutes Piazza Politeama and the homonymous theatre, dating back to the late 19th century. Inside the Politeama theatre stands the Modern Art Gallery, which hosts sculptures and paintings of Sicilian artists of the 20th century. Occasionally some exhibitions of international modern art are held here. Proceeding along Viale della Libertà one meet the English Garden, a delightful green corner, and a bit further the Ucciardone penitentiary, the former Borbonic prison which today hosts mafia bosses before they are sent to high security prisons.
A bit far from the old town there are two testimonies of the Arab-Norman Palermo which are worth to be seen: the Cuba and the magnificent Zisa.
GAM – Modern art gallery
- Opening hours: Tuesday to Sunday: 09:30-18:30
- Closed on Monday, even when it falls on a festivity.
- Ticket office shuts down at 17:30 pm.
- Operative hours for guided visits:
- Tue to Fri.: 09:00-14:00
- For info and booking of guides visits: Tel.: 091 84 31 605
- Fax: 091 88 89 893
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For info and booking:
- Call center: 199 19 91 11 (cost of the call vary according to hours and distances)
- Web: http://www.galleriadartemodernapalermo.it/
- Access from: Via Libertà, Via Duca della Verdura, Via del Giardino, Via Croci
- Opening hours: all days: 09.00-17.00 (In summer 09:00-18:00) there is a playground for kids inside, with a small merry-go-round.
- For info: Tel.: 091 74 05 756
Hotel Joli is set in the heart of Palermo. This beautiful building from the early 19th century features original frescoes and antique works of art. [...]
Hotel Tonic has a great location in the centre of Palermo, close to the port. It is near the city's main theatres; Teatro Massimo and Teatro Politeama [...]
Set in the heart of Palermo, Hotel Plaza Opéra is just 150 metres from the Politeama Theatre. The rooms offer elegant parquet floors, air conditionin [...]
Hotel del Centro is in the historic centre of Palermo 150 metres from the station and close to the shopping district. It features a free Wi-Fi interne [...]
The Excelsior is set in Palermo's commercial district, close to the port, city centre, and the exclusive boutiques along Viale Libertà. Rooms include [...]
Hotel Alessandra is part of Palazzo Balsamo, a rare example of Sicilian architecture in the centre of Palermo. Rooms offer original furniture of the 1 [...]
Offering a large sun terrace with a swimming pool, Hotel Bel 3 features panoramic views across Palermo and the Mediterranean Sea. It has a Sicilian re [...]