A few hundred meters from Corso Vittorio Emanuele, on the left side, stands the Cathedral, separated from the street through a large courtyard. Behind the Cathedral stretches out the borough Capo, one of the most ancient areas of Palermo, made up of a maze of streets and lanes which resembles a real Kasbah . Unfortunately it has been left in a state of decay. East of this borough stands via Porta Carini, where a lively popular market takes place.
From the Teatro Massimo following via Ruggero Settimo you reach in a few minutes Piazza Politeama and the homonymous theatre, dating back to the late 19th century. Inside the Politeama theatre stands the Modern Art Gallery, which hosts sculptures and paintings of Sicilian artists of the 20th century. Occasionally some exhibitions of international modern art are held here. Proceeding along Viale della Libertà one meet the English Garden, a delightful green corner, and a bit further the Ucciardone penitentiary, the former Borbonic prison which today hosts mafia bosses before they are sent to high security prisons.
A bit far from the old town there are two testimonies of the Arab-Norman Palermo which are worth to be seen: the Cuba and the magnificent Zisa.
GAM – Modern art gallery
- Opening hours: Tuesday to Sunday: 09:30-18:30
- Closed on Monday, even when it falls on a festivity.
- Ticket office shuts down at 17:30 pm.
- Operative hours for guided visits:
- Tue to Fri.: 09:00-14:00
- For info and booking of guides visits: Tel.: 091 84 31 605
- Fax: 091 88 89 893
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For info and booking:
- Call center: 199 19 91 11 (cost of the call vary according to hours and distances)
- Web: http://www.galleriadartemodernapalermo.it/
- Access from: Via Libertà, Via Duca della Verdura, Via del Giardino, Via Croci
- Opening hours: all days: 09.00-17.00 (In summer 09:00-18:00) there is a playground for kids inside, with a small merry-go-round.
- For info: Tel.: 091 74 05 756
Hotel Villa d'Amato offers comfortable accommodation and a peaceful atmosphere in a tranquil area overlooking the sea. It is set just 4 kilometres fro [...]
The 4-star Mercure Palermo is located right in Palermo’s centre, 15 minutes’ walk from Palermo Cathedral. It offers modern rooms with design furni [...]
Offering a quiet position in its own gardens, Hotel Casena Dei Colli is a villa located a 15-minute drive from Palermo’s centre. A bus stop outside [...]
Overlooking the beautiful Gulf of Palermo, NH Palermo is on the seafront next to the botanic gardens. This 4-star hotel offers free Wi-Fi throughout, [...]
Offering suites with free Wi-Fi and LCD satellite TV, Residenza d'Aragona is a historic building from the late 19th century. It is located in Palermo' [...]
Hotel Libertà is at the top of a 10-floor building in Palermo's centre, offering a breakfast room and rooftop terrace with views of the city centre a [...]
Quinto Canto Hotel & Spa is set right in the middle of Palermo’s historic centre, at the Quattro Canti crossroads. Rooms are spacious and stylish. T [...]